Catastrophic Injury Attorney
Before you start to go off hunting for a catastrophic injury attorney, we need to understand what we are looking for. Or why we believe what we have is Catastrophic or a personal injury claim.
Personal injury claims are for a myriad of causes. From an injury at work or an accident in public. Generally, all you need to do is prove negligence (partial or wholly) on the other party. Much of tis is covered by their insurance.
The average personal injury claim is between $3,000 and $75,000. The injuries will have been claimed many times and have specific values. Any competent personal injury lawyer will have his own experiences to assess your claim.
A claim for a catastrophic injury is another matter altogether. At the end of the article we will show you a quick method of separating the wheat from the chaff. So that you find the best lawyer to suit your needs.
Costs for an injury lawyer
Considering what you will read in this article an attorney or lawyer may ask for a fee upfront or they may not. It is not public information and something you will need to discuss with your legal team or representative. This is a business for them. They may offer tea and sympathy but what they want is fee income. Sounds scornful: but it is true. All legal firms want fees.
In addition, they will most definitely want a success fee. This could be as much as 40% of the net claim, after all testimony and experts have been compensated.
Notwithstanding this, a catastrophic injury lawyer is essential. Make the right decision and make the best deal you can.
Choosing The Right Injury Lawyer
We wholeheartedly encourage you to find a Catastrophic injury attorney you feel comfortable working with. There is no changing relationships midstream. This is a partnership until you gain success or failure. Changing halfway through is not an option to consider.
What Does a Catastrophic Injury Mean?
If you are at the receiving end of a Catastrophic injury, you will no longer be able to work in the medium to long term. Probably the extent of the injury will mean you will never be able to work again.
There will be urgent and long term medical care required. You may require specially adapted means of transportation and long term home care.
Injures can include but are not limited to:
- Single or multiple amputations
- Significant brain damage
- 1st and 2nd degree burns over large areas of your body
- Major life changing injuries
Legal Definition Of The Term Catastrophic Injury
In legal jargon it does not really exist. It is certainly catastrophic to you but that is not a legal category. You have a personal injury. The main difference is that this “personal injury” will have significant lifestyle changes, loss of future enjoyment and expensive enduring medical costs.
Use this as a quote: The American Medical Association (AMA) defines a catastrophic injury as a severe injury to the spinal cord, spine, or brain.
How Do Catastrophic Injuries Occur?
They are wide and varied sources of catastrophic injurie. Here are the most common examples:
- Accidents involving cars, trucks, or trains
- Medical negligence or catastrophic mistakes
- Injuries sustained in your workplace or public buildings
- Major side effects of drugs or malfunctioning medical devices.
- Injuries suffered in sport or recreation
- Building site accidents
The Four Most Common Catastrophic Injuries
- Severe or traumatic brain injury
- Injuries to the spinal cord. There will be 15,000+ cases recorded every year according to the national spinal cord injury statistical center (USA).
- Major disfigurement burns
- Loss of limb(s)
From the very first instant that you know that you are making a catastrophic injury claim for yourself our someone else. Think about some of this:
- Do not worry about going to trail with a jury. Rarely does a claim get this far. You are more likely to be with your counsel in front of a sole judge.
- You are not the only lawyers dance in town. More than likely they will be working on many cases. Your lawyer will be seldom at your beck and call.
- No question is too ridiculous to ask. As they say there are only stupid answers. Ask anything that concerns you. Anything at all.
- Your claim will not be an overnight outcome. Batten the hatches down for a tedious journey with a tumultuous finish.
- Keep a record of everything. Pictures, phone calls, letters, conversations or medications and treatment. Everything. You never know when it could be the difference of failure to glorious success.
- An early offer is a sure sign of disquiet by the third party. Get an injury lawyer and wait. And then wait a little bit more. Let your lawyer review all aspects of the claim. It will be well worth the wait.
- You will need expert medical opinion. You stand a better chance of a successful outcome when the best are your side.
- Make sure your choice of law firm is carefully considered. Separate the wheat from the chaff. From promises of no fees to instant success. This is the most important choice you will make. We have tips at the end of the article.
- Always employ the skills and experience of an attorney or lawyer who has worked on similar cases to yours. You do not want to be their 1st project.
- Do not. Really, do not try and do this on your own. You need a qualified attorney with relevant experience.
- Expenses. Keep accurate records of everything that you have spent regarding the injury. Absolutely every receipt. Not only does it record your financial loss it will indicate a need for future income and back up of your claim.
- Diary. Keep detailed notes for both your medical team and legal team. Every twinge or headache or “something is not right”. Write it down on paper or use an audio diary. There are apps for audio diaries.
- Disclosure. It is absolutely imperative that you inform medical experts, consultants or you legal team about mental or psychological symptoms. This is not a time to be shy or out on a brave face.
Catastrophic Injury lawyer
You are going to have to find a lawyer who can lead a team of experts. A legal firm with immediate access to experts in the field of the catastrophic injury sustained.
Legal Bodies To Become Familiar With.
You will want your intermediate lawyer to fully check your catastrophic injury lawyers’ credentials. A shiny website and an advert on Google is not nearly enough. Research is required. Both with legal associations, courts, and Google.
How Your Claim Is Assessed
Initially it is quite straightforward. Your chosen Catastrophic injury attorney will review:
- The Injury suffered.
- How long will the damage last?
Secondary consideration will be
- Expert testimony. The cost and availability of experts in the field of the actual cause of the injury and specialists in your recovery plan. The courts will want to understand the diagnosis and the prognosis. This is costly to both parties and time consuming.
- Level of opposition. There will no doubt be a vast amount of money at stake. Your opponent will be balancing the cist of time and expert testimony versus reduction in your payment. Be prepared for years. In exceptional cases a decade or more. Be prepared for a long wait.
What you need is an excellent lawyer.
How to find a catastrophic injury lawyer. Invariably the search will present firms as personal injury lawyers. If you simple search Google you will be presented with in excess of 8,000,000 pages. If you search for personal injury lawyer you get an overload of 270,000,000+ pages.
We show you a far simpler and easier way.
How To Find A Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in 1 Minute
Locate and open Google maps
Search location you require
Search the service you require
You have found lawyers for catastrophic injury claims
Click and Choose
Investgate a few of the red markers to see the full details and reviews of legal firms dealing with personal injuries